[ EPU Foyer ] [ Lab and Grill ] [ Bonus Theater!! ] [ Rhetorical Questions ] [ CSRANTronix ] [ GNDN ] [ Subterranean Vault ] [ Discussion Forum ] [ Gun of the Week ]

Eyrie Productions, Unlimited

Subject: "GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"     Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy    
Conferences Our Witches at War/Gallian Gothic Topic #92
Reading Topic #92
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
20595 posts
Oct-03-20, 01:28 AM (EDT)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
"GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
 
   Remilia's plan to make sure Flandre is ready for the world by the next full moon is proceeding... but who makes sure the world is ready for Flandre? And will Gryphon and Meiling ever get that furnace working?

Act IV: "Magie Domestique"

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
  RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Zemyla Oct-03-20 1
  RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Peter Eng Oct-03-20 2
  RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Astynax Oct-03-20 3
     RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Gryphonadmin Oct-03-20 4
         RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Astynax Oct-03-20 5
             RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Peter Eng Oct-03-20 6
                 RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Astynax Oct-03-20 7
             RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Gryphonadmin Oct-04-20 8
                 RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Astynax Oct-04-20 10
                     RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Star Ranger4 Oct-04-20 11
                     RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Gryphonadmin Oct-04-20 12
                         RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique BlackAeronaut Oct-04-20 14
                         RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Astynax Oct-04-20 16
                             RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique SpottedKitty Oct-04-20 18
                                 RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Astynax Oct-04-20 20
                                 RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique BlackAeronaut Oct-05-20 21
         RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique rwpikul Oct-04-20 19
  RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Star Ranger4 Oct-04-20 9
     RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Gryphonadmin Oct-04-20 13
         RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique BlackAeronaut Oct-04-20 15
             RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Terminus Est Oct-04-20 17
                 RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique jhosmer1 Oct-05-20 22
         RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Star Ranger4 Oct-13-20 23
             RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Gryphonadmin Oct-13-20 24
                 RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique StClair Oct-13-20 25
                     RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique Gryphonadmin Oct-13-20 26
                     RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique SpottedKitty Oct-13-20 27
                         RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique StClair Oct-14-20 28

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Zemyla
Member since Mar-26-08
174 posts
Oct-03-20, 02:10 AM (EDT)
Click to EMail Zemyla Click to send private message to Zemyla Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
1. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #0
 
   LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-20 AT 02:10 AM (EDT)
 
If Gryph were away from his "real life" like Flandre suggested, then he'd be two levels of away from it right now.

Also, I just imagined Marceline dropping in to see him again and finding him with Remilia. That would definitely be interesting.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Peter Eng
Charter Member
1705 posts
Oct-03-20, 05:12 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Peter%20Eng Click to send private message to Peter%20Eng Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #0
 
   I'm not feeling particularly wordy, so I'll have to settle for "Awwwww..." as a quick summary of my reaction.

Peter Eng
--
Yes, that is a positive reaction.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Astynax
Charter Member
878 posts
Oct-03-20, 05:43 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Astynax Click to send private message to Astynax Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #0
 
   > "This is going to be so satisfying," said Gryphon, and they hefted their
> sledgehammers and advanced.

Sometimes percussive maintenance is the only way.

> Any road, the child is safe now.

Where does this variation on anyway come from? I've seen it only in a game before (over in FFXIV) and took it for something they'd invented for pseudo-medieval flavor, but clearly it has a more general source.

> If I have anything to say about it, she will never need fear a blackguard
> like Van Zandt again in her life.

Count Victor certainly made good on that in spades.

> "I told you both before," said Remilia with a delighted smirk.
> "In this house, I am the law."

This whole scene between these two was touching, but for some reason this line just gave me a flash of the Stallone version of Judge Dredd, which lead to the cursed mental image of Remilia doing a bad Stallone impression while wearing the Dredd helmet.

> "There! Sorry I didn't have it ready when I asked you, but since I didn't
> actually know I was going to ask you until I went and did it..." She shrugged
> with a sheepish smile.

Seems to be something of a running theme in the household really, well as much as it can be within the limits of the resident population.

> "I guess it's actually not legal in this era," said Meiling, her own smile a
> little sheepish. "I didn't think of that when I asked her."
> "Is that right, big sis?" Flandre asked.
> "I'm afraid it is," said Remilia. "Although I've already cast my vote for
> 'why let that stop you?'" she added with a slight smirk.

Well, there have been exceptions of late, but the household probably needs to rack up quite a few Neuroi kills before that becomes available to them.

> Flandre shrugged equably. "Mm, true. And if I can ever get out of the house
> for a night or two, I might meet somebody! Say, big bro, tell me more about
> your witches. Which one's the cutest?"

I'm sure there are many heated debates on this topic, but it's a matter of preferences really.

> "Flandre!"
> "What?"
> "Well, they're not my witches as such," Gryphon hedged, then mumbled as if
> to himself, "Hmm. Ursula's single... no, what am I saying? She's married to
> her work... maybe Wilma? Good gods, no, the rest of us would never survive.
> Hattori's too young..."
> "Don't play along with her—!" Remilia burst out, breaking up with laughter
> halfway through, and the whole company dissolved into giggles along with her.

Far too late, once this door was opened, this journey was inevitable, and entertaining.

> "I won't have you making a hash of things in front of Benjamin and his
> colleagues. It would dishonor our family name."

And Remilia shows that she is just as much their mother's daughter as their father's.

> "No, not really. I'm not sure I can explain it, but... I can't... I don't
> hear its voice, like I did when it was taking me over."

I wonder if Neuroi sound anything like Daleks? They certainly seem to have a similar MO.

> "These are spell cards," she explained. "They're how vampires of our line
> do magic. Each of these cards contains a combat spell, mostly cast at the
> time the cards were written. Frozen in time, almost but not quite fired."

Reminds me of a few types of D&D magic items, but it also, given how they are fueled mostly by the vampire's own magic, makes me think of them as a sort of mystic power extrusion die.

> Gryphon arched an eyebrow at her. "You know how to summon fire spirits?"
> "Dude. Dragon here," Meiling reminded him, flicking his forehead playfully.
> "Oh yeah."

Well, I suppose that answers the elemental affinity question for Meiling (even if she does still scream Earth Kingdom to me,) though I guess the crèmes brûlées scene also dropped a strong hint, since no torch was mentioned.

Also, I had not thought of an elementally aligned creature as the heat source, when I commented about it earlier I had pictured something like Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle, so this bit was a twist within a surprise.

> "Be careful, it's hot," Meiling cautioned her, voice low to avoid disturbing
> the creature. "I can take it because of my training, but you'll get burned
> if you—" Flandre brushed her fingers against the sleeping salamander's head;
> she drew a hissing breath through her teeth as her fingertips were scorched,
> but didn't snatch her hand away. "—touch it," Meiling finished a bit lamely.

Well, another example of Flandre's rather noteworthy pain tolerance. She's going to be quite the force to be reckoned with once she's in an actual fight.

> Remilia chuckled, shaking her head, and poured herself some bloodwine.
> "That girl..."

So I very much doubt that Remilia was drinking anything resembling the Klingon beverage by that name, but it makes me wonder how she'd react to something quite so... assertive as a beverage. It might just be alcoholic enough for a vampire to notice.

> Flandre sighed in frustration. "I overdid it with the spell cards," she
> admitted. "I know, I know, you warned me. I just got too into it. So now
> I'm tired and I'm going to bed early." Brandishing Gryphon's hand as if
> it were a weapon, she declared defiantly, "And I'm taking this with me!"
> Remilia raised her eyebrows. "What, just the hand? He probably wants to keep
> that, so you might consider taking the rest of him while you're at it," she
> observed, deadpan.

Well, he could, eventually, regenerate it, but that would take an inconveniently long time.

This whole sequence of banter was satisfying by the way, it's nice to see them all settling into being comfortable with each other, particularly the Scarlet sisters.

> "Sis thinks I'm trying to compete with her."
> "That's natural," Gryphon replied.
> "Sure, and it makes sense that she would, but that isn't it," said Flandre.
> Releasing him, she sat back so that she could make eye contact and went on,
> "I don't want to take anyone's place, hers or yours. I want my own place.
> I want to be as close to both of you as you are to each other.

Flandre doesn't set modest goals for herself, does she?

> Flandre shook her head. "No. I'm tired. But soon. Maybe tomorrow. I'll teach
> you what Sis taught me about spell cards, and you can teach me about the
> Force." She cracked her sly smile, the one that was a mirror copy of her
> sister's. "You show me yours and I'll show you mine."

The yard may not survive this. Might have to see if anyone can summon some nature spirits to do landscaping afterward.


-={(Astynax)}=-
"This Space For Rent."


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
20595 posts
Oct-03-20, 07:18 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #3
 
   >> Any road, the child is safe now.
>
>Where does this variation on anyway come from? I've seen it only in a
>game before (over in FFXIV) and took it for something they'd invented
>for pseudo-medieval flavor, but clearly it has a more general source.

I'm not 100% sure, but I want to say it comes from one of the dialects of the North of England—maybe Yorkshire? Victor's journal probably isn't actually in English, so in this case it's probably standing in for a similarly archaic phrase from northern Gallic.

>> If I have anything to say about it, she will never need fear a blackguard
>> like Van Zandt again in her life.
>
>Count Victor certainly made good on that in spades.

If there was anything Victor took completely seriously, it was following through on promises like that (and self-defense in general). The fact that Sakuya was 100% on board with the idea herself helped, of course.

>> "I told you both before," said Remilia with a delighted smirk.
>> "In this house, I am the law."
>
>This whole scene between these two was touching, but for some reason
>this line just gave me a flash of the Stallone version of Judge
>Dredd
, which lead to the cursed mental image of Remilia doing a
>bad Stallone impression while wearing the Dredd helmet.

... Pardon me while I change that line to "I make the law."

>> "I guess it's actually not legal in this era," said Meiling, her own smile a
>> little sheepish.
>
>Well, there have been exceptions of late, but the household probably
>needs to rack up quite a few Neuroi kills before that becomes
>available to them.

Indeed. In the short-to-medium term, it may also depend on whether, and how, the Gallian government responds to Karlsland's new "Witch Law".

>> "Don't play along with her—!" Remilia burst out, breaking up with laughter
>> halfway through, and the whole company dissolved into giggles along with her.
>
>Far too late, once this door was opened, this journey was inevitable,
>and entertaining.

I have a suspicion that, when the time come for Flandre to meet the witches of Saint-Ulrich for herself, she will want to revisit this discussion.

>> "I won't have you making a hash of things in front of Benjamin and his
>> colleagues. It would dishonor our family name."
>
>And Remilia shows that she is just as much their mother's
>daughter as their father's.

Well, we already knew that was where she got her preoccupation with her dignity (which is totally speaking there).

>> "No, not really. I'm not sure I can explain it, but... I can't... I don't
>> hear its voice, like I did when it was taking me over."
>
>I wonder if Neuroi sound anything like Daleks? They certainly seem to
>have a similar MO.

In the anime, the only sound they make is kind of a metallic squealing noise. In one episode, the Neuroi of the week tries to "sing", but it just ends up sounding like one of those Experimental Musical Instruments made out of glass and copper wires.

>> "These are spell cards," she explained. "They're how vampires of our line
>> do magic. Each of these cards contains a combat spell, mostly cast at the
>> time the cards were written. Frozen in time, almost but not quite fired."
>
>Reminds me of a few types of D&D magic items, but it also, given how
>they are fueled mostly by the vampire's own magic, makes me think of
>them as a sort of mystic power extrusion die.

That's... not a terrible metaphor, really. (Another simplified but reasonably useful comparison would be to the gel filters used to color stage lights.)

>> Gryphon arched an eyebrow at her. "You know how to summon fire spirits?"
>> "Dude. Dragon here," Meiling reminded him, flicking his forehead playfully.
>> "Oh yeah."
>
>Well, I suppose that answers the elemental affinity question for
>Meiling (even if she does still scream Earth Kingdom to me,)

It's not a coincidence that you get that vibe; Meiling is culturally much more of the Earth Kingdom than the Fire Nation, even if she is a dragon, for Reasons To Be Gone Into.

>Well, another example of Flandre's rather noteworthy pain tolerance.

I kind of hate myself for already having thought this through? But I'm reasonably sure that, at some point in her centuries in the basement, the Other will have gone through a self-harming phase, above and beyond the Child's tendency to injure herself accidentally through recklessness and not knowing what she was doing. That kind of thing happens fairly often to vampires who were originally mortal and were turned without proper preparation—some turn self-destructive out of buyer's remorse, while others get fascinated with their regenerative capabilities to an unhealthy extent. Flandre may not (hopefully doesn't) remember that period, but her body does.

>She's going to be quite the force to be reckoned with once she's in an
>actual fight.

High on the list of things I'm looking forward to getting to, yes.

>> Remilia chuckled, shaking her head, and poured herself some bloodwine.
>> "That girl..."
>
>So I very much doubt that Remilia was drinking anything resembling the
>Klingon beverage by that name, but it makes me wonder how she'd react
>to something quite so... assertive as a beverage. It might just be
>alcoholic enough for a vampire to notice.

Oh, no, bloodwine in this context is literally just normal wine with some blood in it. I don't think Remilia would appreciate Klingon bloodwine, if for no other reason than wherever the blood comes from, I doubt it's compatible.

>This whole sequence of banter was satisfying by the way, it's nice to
>see them all settling into being comfortable with each other,
>particularly the Scarlet sisters.

I wish I could illustrate that couch tableau, particularly Meiling getting her Sakuya recharge. The picture in my head is much cozier and more adorable than I think I really captured in the text. :)

>> I want to be as close to both of you as you are to each other.
>
>Flandre doesn't set modest goals for herself, does she?

Indeed, half measures are not her way.

>> Flandre shook her head. "No. I'm tired. But soon. Maybe tomorrow. I'll teach
>> you what Sis taught me about spell cards, and you can teach me about the
>> Force." She cracked her sly smile, the one that was a mirror copy of her
>> sister's. "You show me yours and I'll show you mine."
>
>The yard may not survive this. Might have to see if anyone can summon
>some nature spirits to do landscaping afterward.

Yes, it's too bad Meiling isn't an earthbender. They can't make grass grow, but she could at least sort out the craters.

... Of course, she could still do that, just... with a shovel. But still.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Astynax
Charter Member
878 posts
Oct-03-20, 07:44 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Astynax Click to send private message to Astynax Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #4
 
   LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-20 AT 07:52 PM (EDT) by Gryphon (admin)
 
>... Pardon me while I change that line to "I make the law."
>

Heh, I had not expected the psychic damage of that image to be that strong.

>I have a suspicion that, when the time come for Flandre to meet the
>witches of Saint-Ulrich for herself, she will want to revisit this
>discussion.
>

Well, she'd be able to decide for herself the answer to 'which witch is cutest' at that point.

>Well, we already knew that was where she got her preoccupation with
>her dignity (which is totally speaking there).
>

Indeed, but I always enjoy when she is obviously doing it intentionally, as opposed to out of reflex.

>In the anime, the only sound they make is kind of a metallic squealing
>noise. In one episode, the Neuroi of the week tries to "sing", but it
>just ends up sounding like one of those Experimental Musical
>Instruments made out of glass and copper wires.
>

So somehow even less pleasant than a Dalek, which is impressive in an awful sort of way.

>Oh, no, bloodwine in this context is literally just normal wine with
>some blood in it. I don't think Remilia would appreciate Klingon
>bloodwine, if for no other reason than wherever the blood comes from,
>I doubt it's compatible.
>

I suspect the number of non-Klingons who appreciate bloodwine can fit into perhaps two runabouts at most.

>Yes, it's too bad Meiling isn't an earthbender. They can't
>make grass grow, but she could at least sort out the craters.
>
>... Of course, she could still do that, just... with a shovel. But
>still.
>

Someone might want to setup a zen garden sort of arrangement afterward, probably be easier to maintain in the aftermath of energetic training sessions.


-={(Astynax)}=-
"This Space For Rent."


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Peter Eng
Charter Member
1705 posts
Oct-03-20, 10:07 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Peter%20Eng Click to send private message to Peter%20Eng Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #5
 
   >
>I suspect the number of non-Klingons who appreciate bloodwine can fit
>into perhaps two runabouts at most.
>

Next on Things That Probably Won't Happen In EPU: Minna discovers Klingon bloodwine.

Peter Eng
--
Insert humorous comment here.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Astynax
Charter Member
878 posts
Oct-03-20, 10:29 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Astynax Click to send private message to Astynax Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #6
 
   >Next on Things That Probably Won't Happen In EPU: Minna
>discovers Klingon bloodwine.
>

I'm sure if there was sufficient motivation a bottle or three could make their way to her, but I have no idea why anyone would want to do that. Maybe as a result of a discussion around finding some food or drink from somewhere that Minna won't be able to consume.


-={(Astynax)}=-
"Even money on whether or not Mio would enjoy the stuff though."


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
20595 posts
Oct-04-20, 01:37 AM (EDT)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #5
 
   >>... Pardon me while I change that line to "I make the law."
>
>Heh, I had not expected the psychic damage of that image to be
>that strong.

Well, once you bring in Judge Dredd it chains to that Anthrax song and the whole thing gets very silly. Best to head off that association at the pass.

>>I have a suspicion that, when the time come for Flandre to meet the
>>witches of Saint-Ulrich for herself, she will want to revisit this
>>discussion.
>
>Well, she'd be able to decide for herself the answer to 'which witch
>is cutest' at that point.

Knowing Flan's luck, it'll be one of the ones who aren't available.

>Someone might want to setup a zen garden sort of arrangement
>afterward, probably be easier to maintain in the aftermath of
>energetic training sessions.

That's probably a good idea, particularly given how inconvenient it is to procure replacement turf. Meiling would also like to set up a botanical garden someplace on the grounds at some point, though that would obviously have to be well away from the firing range slash CQB training area.

There's still some of the estate we haven't actually seen yet—to the north of the house, for example, where we haven't looked at all, there are the ruins of what used to be the stables and carriage house, which could be made into something. (For that matter, the entire north wing of the house itself is still abandoned apart from Remilia's study.)

(On the other hand, there's nothing much to the east (i.e., out front) aside from the drive (mostly overgrown now) and some woods, before you get to the edge of the bubble and Pac-Man over to the far edge of the west lawn, and the only point of interest to the south is the glade with the mausoleum, and the little cemetery behind it we didn't see in that scene.)

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Astynax
Charter Member
878 posts
Oct-04-20, 02:36 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Astynax Click to send private message to Astynax Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
10. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #8
 
   >Well, once you bring in Judge Dredd it chains to that Anthrax
>song and the whole thing gets very silly. Best to head off that
>association at the pass.
>

True enough, my internal association was already silly enough. Stallone has forever ruined that sentence in my head. I should get around to watching the more recent remake and see if that can cleanse the stain.

>Knowing Flan's luck, it'll be one of the ones who aren't available.
>

That would be in keeping with her complaint that started the whole discussion. But as Remilia notes, she has time to fill that role in her life.

>That's probably a good idea, particularly given how inconvenient it is
>to procure replacement turf. Meiling would also like to set up a
>botanical garden someplace on the grounds at some point, though that
>would obviously have to be well away from the firing range slash CQB
>training area.
>

Not sure why, but I picture SDM as the sort of place that would have a large, ornate wrought iron greenhouse extending away from the main building to house tropical plants (probably evenly split, when it was maintained, between alchemically useful and aesthetically pleasing varieties.)



-={(Astynax)}=-
"This Space For Rent."


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Star Ranger4
Charter Member
2402 posts
Oct-04-20, 02:44 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Star%20Ranger4 Click to send private message to Star%20Ranger4 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
11. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #10
 
   >Not sure why, but I picture SDM as the sort of place that would have a
>large, ornate wrought iron greenhouse extending away from the main
>building to house tropical plants (probably evenly split, when it was
>maintained, between alchemically useful and aesthetically pleasing
>varieties.)
>
...


...


...;


can't say your wrong about that?


Of COURSE you wernt expecting it!
No One expects the FANNISH INQUISITION!
RCW# 86


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
20595 posts
Oct-04-20, 03:10 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
12. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #10
 
   >True enough, my internal association was already silly enough.
>Stallone has forever ruined that sentence in my head. I should get
>around to watching the more recent remake and see if that can cleanse
>the stain.

I haven't seen it either, although I'm told he doesn't remove his helmet in that one, which automatically makes that version more in character.

(That said, I didn't actually hate the Stallone film. It's dumb, but it's not as if the source material was meant to be taken seriously itself, and I thought the production design was really quite good. Plus, Barbara Hershey. And one of Rob Schneider's better performances,* although I recognize that could be interpreted as damnation with faint praise. "Eat recycled food! It's good for the environment and OK for you.")

>>Knowing Flan's luck, it'll be one of the ones who aren't available.
>
>That would be in keeping with her complaint that started the whole
>discussion. But as Remilia notes, she has time to fill that role in
>her life.

She's mostly complaining about wanting to as a way of pulling Remilia's chain anyway, at this stage, although she is definitely interested in expanding the number of people in the world she knows from its current total of "four". :)

>Not sure why, but I picture SDM as the sort of place that would have a
>large, ornate wrought iron greenhouse extending away from the main
>building to house tropical plants (probably evenly split, when it was
>maintained, between alchemically useful and aesthetically pleasing
>varieties.)

(nod) I've mentioned but not shown a conservatory a couple of times. I had in mind the less formal sunroom type as opposed to an attached greenhouse (although it's a bit weird for a vampire's house to have a sunroom—maybe they think of it as a moonroom :), but you're right, that does seem like the kind of thing Remilia the Elder would have had.

--G.
* albeit not as good as his turn in Down Periscope, which is straight-up hilarious. "WHAT! IS IN! THESE CANS, BUCKMAN!"
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
BlackAeronaut
Member since Apr-15-15
86 posts
Oct-04-20, 04:35 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail BlackAeronaut Click to send private message to BlackAeronaut Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
14. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #12
 
   >>Not sure why, but I picture SDM as the sort of place that would have a
>>large, ornate wrought iron greenhouse extending away from the main
>>building to house tropical plants (probably evenly split, when it was
>>maintained, between alchemically useful and aesthetically pleasing
>>varieties.)
>
>(nod) I've mentioned but not shown a conservatory a couple of times.
>I had in mind the less formal sunroom type as opposed to an attached
>greenhouse (although it's a bit weird for a vampire's house to have a
>sunroom—maybe they think of it as a moonroom :), but you're
>right, that does seem like the kind of thing Remilia the Elder would
>have had.

That's easy enough. Simply put, there used to be one, but it was destroyed the night her mother and father were killed. It was mostly used as a source for Remilia The Elder's more commonly used ingredients (and even some of the more rare and esoteric ones), so with her no longer among them, no one saw any real point in restoring something that was, literally, a total loss.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Astynax
Charter Member
878 posts
Oct-04-20, 04:51 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Astynax Click to send private message to Astynax Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
16. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #12
 
   >I haven't seen it either, although I'm told he doesn't remove his
>helmet in that one, which automatically makes that version more in
>character.
>

I'm mostly curious because of the cast. Karl Urban is someone who has been underrated for a while despite turning in some solid performances. Though after watching The Boys him not calling every third person c*nt will be somewhat surprising.

>(That said, I didn't actually hate the Stallone film. It's dumb, but
>it's not as if the source material was meant to be taken seriously
>itself, and I thought the production design was really quite good.
>Plus, Barbara Hershey. And one of Rob Schneider's better
>performances,* although I recognize that could be interpreted as
>damnation with faint praise. "Eat recycled food! It's good for the
>environment and OK for you.")
>

I watched it once while up too late years ago, and it seemed OK if you viewed it as a bit of a parody, it was really just that one line that became meme-ably awful.

>She's mostly complaining about wanting to as a way of pulling
>Remilia's chain anyway, at this stage, although she is definitely
>interested in expanding the number of people in the world she knows
>from its current total of "four". :)
>

I continue to look forward to the inevitable meeting of Flandre, Lucchini, and E. Hartmann. Saint Ulrich will never be the same.


-={(Astynax)}=-
"This Space For Rent."


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
SpottedKitty
Member since Jun-15-04
593 posts
Oct-04-20, 09:52 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail SpottedKitty Click to send private message to SpottedKitty Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
18. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #16
 
   >I continue to look forward to the inevitable meeting of Flandre,
>Lucchini, and E. Hartmann. Saint Ulrich will never be the same.

Sociologically, geographically, or structurally? ;)

--
Unable to save the day: File is read-only.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Astynax
Charter Member
878 posts
Oct-04-20, 11:18 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Astynax Click to send private message to Astynax Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
20. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #18
 
   >Sociologically, geographically, or structurally? ;)
>

Yes.


-={(Astynax)}=-
"Could there be any other answer?"


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
BlackAeronaut
Member since Apr-15-15
86 posts
Oct-05-20, 00:01 AM (EDT)
Click to EMail BlackAeronaut Click to send private message to BlackAeronaut Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
21. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #18
 
   >>I continue to look forward to the inevitable meeting of Flandre,
>>Lucchini, and E. Hartmann. Saint Ulrich will never be the same.
>
>Sociologically, geographically, or structurally? ;)

Alternatively, we could use that one bit of dilogue between Danny Ocean and Basher...

"Do ya want Blind, Broke, or Bedlam?"
"How about all three?"
"Roight. It's done then."


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
rwpikul
Member since Jun-22-03
205 posts
Oct-04-20, 09:59 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail rwpikul Click to send private message to rwpikul Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
19. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #4
 
   >>> Any road, the child is safe now.
>>
>>Where does this variation on anyway come from? I've seen it only in a
>>game before (over in FFXIV) and took it for something they'd invented
>>for pseudo-medieval flavor, but clearly it has a more general source.
>
>I'm not 100% sure, but I want to say it comes from one of the dialects
>of the North of England—maybe Yorkshire? Victor's journal
>probably isn't actually in English, so in this case it's
>probably standing in for a similarly archaic phrase from northern
>Gallic.

I know it was in use in the Liverpool area: I picked it up myself from the Beatles.

--
Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Star Ranger4
Charter Member
2402 posts
Oct-04-20, 01:58 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Star%20Ranger4 Click to send private message to Star%20Ranger4 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
9. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #0
 
   > "Finest kind, Miss Hong, finest kind," Gryphon agreed

... Daggonit RL-G!!!! I've READ the original, so I know where that came from! Still hilarious, to myself?

> Sakuya smiled. "I love it..." Stepping closer, she rose up on tiptoes to
> put her arms around Meiling's neck. "... And I love you. Thank you."

and a total "D'AWWW" moment to follow that up!

> "I guess it's actually not legal in this era," said Meiling, her own smile
> a little sheepish. "I didn't think of that when I asked her."

... you have UF-G and Remilia the Scarlet Devil on your side. To myself, you are overthinking this, Meiling. THEY can, and WILL make it happen, somehow!

> "Don't play along with her—!" Remilia burst out, breaking up with laughter
> halfway through,

have to admit I am surprised Remilia made it that long before devolving into the giggles. *Total 'gznerk' and laughter here*

> It's just me now. Part of what I am. The Neuroi, big bro's blood, what
> was left of the potion you dosed him with... they all sort of mixed
> together and... here I am." She struck a pose with a wan little smile.
> "Ta-da."

oh... POOP. The Neuroi no longer stand a chance! They just don't know it yet!!!! *snickers*

> "These are spell cards," she explained. "They're how vampires of our line
> do magic. Each of these cards contains a combat spell, mostly cast at the
> time the cards were written. Frozen in time, almost but not quite fired."

Which, if one is to be a wisenheimer like I am... Mostly fired, (but not completely) is rather akin to Wesley being 'Not quite dead'? Still, I hope Remilia is right and that she and Flandre can create new cards, because the Neuroi... ahem... 'Aint dead yet'

> Or a wok, that'll do in a pinch.

this screams for a 'Fozzi=bear' woka woka woka joke, Rl-G...

> "I know the feeling," said Flandre wryly.

CON SARND IT!!! DO NOT DO THAT TO MY POOR MONITOR!!!! *ROFL*

> She cracked her sly smile, the one that was a mirror copy of her sister's.
> "You show me yours and I'll show you mine."

Owie, owie, owie... Flandre!!! Right. I might claim that was not fair, but... but... but... right.

... and that is the end of these comnents.


Of COURSE you wernt expecting it!
No One expects the FANNISH INQUISITION!
RCW# 86


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
20595 posts
Oct-04-20, 04:11 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
13. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #9
 
   >> "Finest kind, Miss Hong, finest kind," Gryphon agreed
>
>... Daggonit RL-G!!!! I've READ the original, so I know where that
>came from! Still hilarious, to myself?

The original what now?

>Still, I hope Remilia is right and that she and Flandre can create new
>cards, because the Neuroi... ahem... 'Aint dead yet'

They can't make spell cards themselves, but Remilia is at least reasonably confident that the technique can still be learned by someone in the modern era who could make it work.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
BlackAeronaut
Member since Apr-15-15
86 posts
Oct-04-20, 04:48 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail BlackAeronaut Click to send private message to BlackAeronaut Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
15. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #13
 
   >>Still, I hope Remilia is right and that she and Flandre can create new
>>cards, because the Neuroi... ahem... 'Aint dead yet'
>
>They can't make spell cards themselves, but Remilia is at least
>reasonably confident that the technique can still be learned by
>someone in the modern era who could make it work.

Fun idea: It'd be kinda funny if Francesca Lucchini knew how to do this. The one Remilia referred to as the source of their spell cards was a Romanian witch, after all, so who's to say she never passed it down?

As for why Lucchini would never bother much with them herself, she'd probably say they need too much power to make regular use of them, and also they're finicky things to make. And we all know how closely she relates to her familiar. :)


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Terminus Est
Member since Nov-5-04
492 posts
Oct-04-20, 05:22 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Terminus%20Est Click to send private message to Terminus%20Est Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
17. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #15
 
   Lucchini would be a good one for it, but a better one would probably be one of the 'missing' SDM house members, Patchouli. Not sure if G intends to bring her and Koakuma in at some point, though, so having one of the 501st witches knowing the methodology would be nice.

Of course, they already have a fair stockpile, so this may be a moot argument to begin with.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
jhosmer1
Member since Jan-11-07
160 posts
Oct-05-20, 10:00 AM (EDT)
Click to EMail jhosmer1 Click to send private message to jhosmer1 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
22. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #17
 
   No, the one who would know about card-related magic would be Eila.

"Um, don't the Lovers look like you and S--"

"DO YOU WANT THE CARDS OR NOT?!"


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Star Ranger4
Charter Member
2402 posts
Oct-13-20, 02:02 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Star%20Ranger4 Click to send private message to Star%20Ranger4 Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
23. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #13
 
   >>> "Finest kind, Miss Hong, finest kind," Gryphon agreed
>>
>>... Daggonit RL-G!!!! I've READ the original, so I know where that
>>came from! Still hilarious, to myself?
>
>The original what now?
>
M*A*S*H, the orignal novel.


Of COURSE you wernt expecting it!
No One expects the FANNISH INQUISITION!
RCW# 86


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
20595 posts
Oct-13-20, 02:17 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
24. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #23
 
   >>>> "Finest kind, Miss Hong, finest kind," Gryphon agreed
>>>
>>>... Daggonit RL-G!!!! I've READ the original, so I know where that
>>>came from! Still hilarious, to myself?
>>
>>The original what now?
>>
>M*A*S*H, the orignal novel.

Oh! Heh, I'd forgotten that Hawkeye say that a lot in the original book. It's because he's from Maine; that's a common figure of speech here.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
StClair
Charter Member
751 posts
Oct-13-20, 06:58 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail StClair Click to send private message to StClair Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
25. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #24
 
   I'm mostly familiar with it via an old SF comic series (written by Californians, though), which prompts me to ask: is "make a do" also a Maine-ism? (Google is not helpful.)


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
20595 posts
Oct-13-20, 07:09 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
26. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #25
 
   >I'm mostly familiar with it via an old SF comic series (written by
>Californians, though), which prompts me to ask: is "make a do" also a
>Maine-ism? (Google is not helpful.)

Not that I know of.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
SpottedKitty
Member since Jun-15-04
593 posts
Oct-13-20, 11:33 PM (EDT)
Click to EMail SpottedKitty Click to send private message to SpottedKitty Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
27. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #25
 
   >I'm mostly familiar with it via an old SF comic series (written by
>Californians, though), which prompts me to ask: is "make a do" also a
>Maine-ism? (Google is not helpful.)

IIRC, it's an otter-ism. The comic is Fusion, produced in the late 80s by Eclipse Comics. The character in question is an uplifted Earth otter, a ship's engineer, comes from Canada, and uses a weirdly clipped English syntax. Others on the ship's crew use the phrase, but the impression I got is that they picked it up as a catchphrase from the otter.

It's a fun comic, although probably nearly impossible to find these days unless you hit a lucky streak in comic shop oldies boxes. Some mid-level Names associated with it, though; writing by Steven Barnes and Michael Reaves, and art by Lela Dowling and Steve Gallacci. I certainly enjoyed it.

Now, that's interesting. A Google Images search on "eclipse comics fusion" brings up all (I think) of the covers, bits of the art, and a claim by E-Bay to have a few of them available. (The otter is on one cover clinging to a rope, and on another running from a hungry notreallyadinosaur.)

--
Unable to save the day: File is read-only.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top
StClair
Charter Member
751 posts
Oct-14-20, 05:52 AM (EDT)
Click to EMail StClair Click to send private message to StClair Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
28. "RE: GG Book 2 Act IV: Magie Domestique"
In response to message #27
 
   That's the one, yup.
I was a fan back in the day, and was fortunate to pick up a nearly-complete run from my local comic shop for cheap when they were getting rid of the back issues.


  Alert | IP Printer-friendly page | Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

[ YUM ] [ BIG ] [ ??!? ] [ RANT ] [ GNDN ] [ STORE ] [ FORUM ] GOTW ] [ VAULT ]

version 3.3 © 2001
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited
Benjamin D. Hutchins
E P U (Colour)