#0, Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by Gryphon on Jan-19-25 at 03:59 PM
A game rather in the vein (as it were) of Viscera Cleanup Detail, except without the sci-fi bent and overt slapstick comedy. Instead of cleaning up the aftermath of action games, you're "sanitizing" (literally and medico-legally) the scenes of violent crimes on behalf of the underworld forces that caused them. You are literally the Mob's janitor. Mop up blood, put the furniture back where it goes, collect evidence so it's not there for the cops to find, get rid of the bodies... you know, the usual.Meditative and calming, as all of this sort of game tend to be, but with obvious sinister overtones. There's a story to it, as well, explaining why the hapless janitor you embody has gotten mixed up in all this, which is... more effort than they really needed to put in, but it makes the player character's running commentary funnier. Mr. Kovalsky has a wry sense of resignation about the insane turn his life has taken. The voice acting for everyone else in the game (whom you don't see, but talk with on the phone) is kinda jank, but it's a PlayWay game, so I assume the development studio is in eastern Europe someplace, so you kinda expect that for English voice lines... One caveat: the Steam store page's description suggests that there's a time pressure element. I haven't seen that yet--I'm only on the second mission--but if it is something that turns up later, that's going to knock the game down significantly in my estimation. I'm not here for time pressure in my cleanup games. --G. -><- Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/ zgryphon at that email service Google has Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
#1, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by Gryphon on Jan-24-25 at 06:21 PM
In response to message #0
>One caveat: the Steam store page's description suggests that there's a >time pressure element. I haven't seen that yet--I'm only on the >second mission--but if it is something that turns up later, that's >going to knock the game down significantly in my estimation. I'm not >here for time pressure in my cleanup games. Update: I've completed the game and this never happens, so I'm not sure why the Steam page's description includes the sentence, "All this under the pressure of a ticking clock and police breathing down your neck." At no point do you have a clock or any cops to deal with. Like VCD, it's just you and the mess for as long as it takes. --G. -><- Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/ zgryphon at that email service Google has Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
#2, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by Gryphon on Sep-02-26 at 04:56 PM
In response to message #0
Revisiting this game since Minto is playing it at the moment. (Well, not literally right this moment, but, you know.) It's somehow gotten about twice as long as it was when I played it, which is odd, since I don't think it was in Early Access when I played; it had an ending and everything. Now it has a post-ending mission and a second act that extends the narrative further. I haven't finished that, so I don't know how it plays out, but the new levels I've done so far have been satisfying.There's also a paid DLC, Crime Scene Cleaner: Biohazard, coming out sometime, which looks like it will extend the hapless Mr. Kovalsky's story even more. No price or release date published at this point. --G. -><- Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/ zgryphon at that email service Google has Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
#3, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by Aberrant Eyes on Sep-02-26 at 06:02 PM
In response to message #2
>There's also a paid DLC, Crime Scene Cleaner: Biohazard, coming >out sometime, which looks like it will extend the hapless Mr. >Kovalsky's story even more. Presumably not taking him to Raccoon City. ^_^
#4, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by Gryphon on Sep-02-26 at 06:05 PM
In response to message #3
>>There's also a paid DLC, Crime Scene Cleaner: Biohazard, coming >>out sometime, which looks like it will extend the hapless Mr. >>Kovalsky's story even more. > >Presumably not taking him to Raccoon City. ^_^ I hope not, but that would be kind of in Kovalsky's line. He usually works for organized crime rather than evil megacorps, though. --G. -><- Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/ zgryphon at that email service Google has Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
#5, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by drakensis on Sep-03-26 at 02:14 AM
In response to message #0
So I belatedly realize that this is basically John Wick's dinner reservation.
#6, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by MoonEyes on Sep-03-26 at 04:30 AM
In response to message #5
Complete with huge black guy cleaning the windows. I always wondered about that scene when they clean up Wicks house. I mean, how far does it go?Do they remove and/or replace things that got obviously broken due to a fight? Like, there's a very obvious bullet hole in a window pane, or a combat knife stabbed into the counter top, so they'll fix that, at least cosmetically? Or is it just bodies and blood? ...! Stoke Mandeville, Esq & The Victorian Ballsmiths "Nobody Want Verdigris- Covered Balls!"
#7, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by Mephron on Sep-03-26 at 09:51 AM
In response to message #6
>Complete with huge black guy cleaning the windows. I always wondered >about that scene when they clean up Wicks house. I mean, how far does >it go? > >Do they remove and/or replace things that got obviously broken due to >a fight? Like, there's a very obvious bullet hole in a window pane, or >a combat knife stabbed into the counter top, so they'll fix that, at >least cosmetically? Or is it just bodies and blood? When I ran a Top Secret game, the cleanup crew would replace windows, but things like furniture and countertops were just patched - yes, by experts who were really good at it, but still, just a patch. They also would make sure there wasn't any identifiable evidence (gunshot in the couch? That bullet would come out, and some plastic wood goes into the frame to make the frame look whole before the upholstery was carefully patched). I'm also reminded of an episode of the entirely too good TV series The Blacklist, where the main character, Raymond Reddington (the "Concierge of Crime") gets a cleanup crew for a crime lord he had just murdered to work for him by the method of "well, your old boss is dead and I pay loyal people really well", and chuckles when he finds out that to clean blood out of carpet, they really do use club soda... (James Spader is older than me, but just the way he is able to delivery lines, whether it be as Ultron, Red Reddington, or a number of other characters, just makes parts of me go "ooooh.") -- Jen Dantes - Darth Mephron Haberdasher to Androids, Dark Lady of Sith Tech Support. "This may not be a good idea, but it's the only one I have."
#8, RE: Crime Scene Cleaner
Posted by StClair on Sep-05-26 at 08:14 PM
In response to message #7
I'm familiar with "Red" mostly due to clips that The Algorithm has served up to me, but IMO, everything you say here of him is true.
|