LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-14 AT 02:42 AM (EDT)
>This looks fantastic. I'm very impressed with the new look! I
>certainly wouldn't try to mark up everything in your shoes, either,
>though, so no worries.
So I got curious. How long, I wondered, would it actually take me to convert an existing, full-length, originally-in-plain-text story?
Well, in the case of The Legacy of Korra Book 6 Chapter 1, An Avatar in New Avalon (215K, plain text), about two and a half hours. Much of that time, after getting all the incidental bits (time stamps, song cues, etc.) properly marked up, was taken up with tedious groveling around for hyphen-delimited (and thus not practically searchable) emphasis (which I'm sure I've missed a bunch of in the first pass).
So, uh, yeah, I don't think a full conversion of the back catalog is on the cards.
However! One thing I came to suspect during the process is that if I wrote the way I do when I'm writing for the Forum - with incidental markup (italics and whatnot) happening in line, but not worrying about the paragraph tags and all that junk until after - that... might actually work. I'm not certain; further experimentation is definitely called for. (One potential problem is that that's all well and good when I'm writing, but it's a pretty fiddly business to expect of collaborators, and then I'm back to groveling around doing the conversions by hand again.)
However, if that suspicion is correct, though, the process might be adaptable to CSS compliance in future pieces. I make no promises, but it's a thing I am investigating.
In the meantime, hey, that's everything on the Legacy page.
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.