Go back to previous page
Forum URL: http://www.eyrie-productions.com/Forum/dcboard.cgi
Forum Name: Symphony of the Sword / The Order of the Rose
Topic ID: 416
#0, Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-23-14 at 02:31 PM
Y'know, if I had it to do over again, I would probably have just gone ahead and called the Symphony No. 2 character who originally appeared under the name of B'Elanna Torres something else. It's not unusual for UF characters to diverge, in some cases wildly, from their original sources, but B'Elanna never even really started out as an approximation of the one on TV. She has a similar backstory, the daughter of a Klingon woman and a human guy who was in way the fuck over his head and failed to cope in any way, but she's such a departure from that point on that I find myself suspecting her name may lead to expectations that are... more-than-usually not going to be fulfilled.

This ran through my head just now as I re-read the part of Prelude in A Minor she's in. I like that bit, I like the personal journey it takes her on, but I don't think I did her any favors by assuming she was a variant of an established character when she's ever-more-clearly her own thing entirely.

Connectedly, I find I'm still pretty happy with most of that story, even though a lot of it is setup for things that I may not get around to actually doing now. There are a lot of nice moments there which still stand up. Oddly enough, I don't have the same feeling about the more-or-less-equally divergent figure of Ezri Tigan that I have about B'Elanna. She's supposed to be the-same-character-but-not right from the off, because of the absence of Dax, so she works for me.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#1, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Mercutio on Feb-23-14 at 02:42 PM
In response to message #0
Given the general lack of regard that all right-thinking people hold Voyager in, I don't think there are going to be all that many expectations to disappoint here. B'Elanna has a low bar to clear, is what I'm saying.

Really, I think you captured her essential B'Elannaness in terms of personality, which means that the actual plot-based details of her life are less vital. Making another original character would have been fine as well; that whole period was kind of a golden age in UF for the addition of characters who were spun from whole cloth rather than imported from elsewhere. (Ironically, many of them have ended up kind of falling by the wayside.) But I don't think this is the sort of thing that ought to haunt you.

Sidebar: I was pretty glad when Ezri showed up. I'm a goddamn giant DS9 fan; best Star Trek series by far. (Sorry, TNG. It is true.) But Ezri seems to catch an awful lot of flack from fans for, as near as I can tell, the grievous sin of not being Jadzia and not being played by Terry Farrel. So I like that she's kicking around in UF. And not bonding her with Dax, definitely the right call. That story has already told, it's called "Season 7 of DS9."

-Merc
Keep Rat


#2, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by CdrMike on Feb-23-14 at 11:02 PM
In response to message #0
I have to agree with Mercutio, the B'Elanna you introduced in UF is as close to the original character you can get without the ST version dropping in via plot contrivance. I'll say that in retrospect that what I hate about Voyager is largely the same as what hated about Enterprise, namely the wasted potential of the series. One of the orders from Berman early on was that all the human characters had to act as bland as possible, because he didn't feel the aliens that Voyager would encounter would be "believable" if the cast was expressive and well-developed. In fact, part of the reason Ron Moore left Voyager after three episodes in Season 5 was because inquiries about how to write the characters were met with blank looks and remarks that nobody had any real idea and to "write them however you want."

Because of that, in the words of SF Debris, B'Elanna really had only three stories: "Fix it," "Pissed off," or "Screw somebody." They only ever seemed to realize that there was some character development to be had when they tried to broach the subject of her Klingon heritage, though most times it was just to have somebody remark about how being half-Klingon made her violent...and then getting a part of their body broken instead of a witty retort. But there were episodes where they handled it well, like "Faces," "Day of Honor," and "Linage," though admittedly the last is somewhat uncomfortable to watch considering the unethical lengths she was almost willing to go to deny said heritage.

What I'm saying in so many words is you did a great job making her work in UF and I as a Trekkie have no quibbles with how you've treated her as a character...except perhaps that I'd like to see more of her in the future.


#3, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-23-14 at 11:36 PM
In response to message #2
>What I'm saying in so many words is you did a great job making her
>work in UF and I as a Trekkie have no quibbles with how you've treated
>her as a character...except perhaps that I'd like to see more of her
>in the future.

I'm actually sort of working on that at the moment, which is why I happened to be having the musings that led to the original post. No promises, but. :)

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#4, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by juniper on Feb-24-14 at 04:08 PM
In response to message #2
>I have to agree with Mercutio, the B'Elanna you introduced in UF is as
>close to the original character you can get without the ST version
>dropping in via plot contrivance. I'll say that in retrospect that
>what I hate about Voyager is largely the same as what hated
>about Enterprise, namely the wasted potential of the series.
>One of the orders from Berman early on was that all the human
>characters had to act as bland as possible, because he didn't feel the
>aliens that Voyager would encounter would be "believable" if the cast
>was expressive and well-developed.

I didn't know that. It just makes me despise the man so much more. (I went off to college and lost access to TV on a regular basis just after Voyager debuted, and I *loved* the idea of Kathryn Janeway. I'm so frustrated by how the show ended up going.)

Grr. It could have been so cool...

In some universe, there's a cool Voyager out there. I just wish it were mine.


#5, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-24-14 at 04:31 PM
In response to message #4
LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-14 AT 04:33 PM (EST)
 
>In some universe, there's a cool Voyager out there. I just wish it
>were mine.

In the UF universe, the Voyager equivalent among the many Battlecruiser Vengeance series (Battlecruiser Vengeance: Odyssey) is the most beloved apart from the original series. :)

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#7, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by mdg1 on Feb-24-14 at 04:58 PM
In response to message #5
>In the UF universe, the Voyager equivalent among the many
>Battlecruiser Vengeance series (Battlecruiser Vengeance:
>Odyssey
) is the most beloved apart from the original series. :)

So... has the Battlecruiser Vengeance reboot gone over well, or are the Klingon aficionados still annoyed at the director's tendency to under-light scenes?


#8, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by The Traitor on Feb-24-14 at 06:47 PM
In response to message #7
On one thing are Imperial and Republic Klingons in agreement, and one thing alone:

There was no need for all that bloody lens flare.

---
"She's old, she's lame, she's barren too, // "She's not worth feed or hay, // "But I'll give her this," - he blew smoke at me - // "She was something in her day." -- Garnet Rogers, Small Victory

FiMFiction.net: we might accept blatant porn involving the cast of My Little Pony but as God is my witness we have standards.


#9, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-24-14 at 07:19 PM
In response to message #7
>So... has the Battlecruiser Vengeance reboot gone over well, or are
>the Klingon aficionados still annoyed at the director's tendency to
>under-light scenes?

Actually, although the fandom is about evenly split as to whether the newly redesigned Vengeance model is a triumph or a travesty, just about everyone agrees that the film's visuals are top-notch. The audio mix, on the other hand, is appalling in places, particularly during the scenes on the Vengeance's bridge, and more than a few people were puzzled by the decision to shoot the engine-room sequences in what was obviously a disused gagh cannery. Also, the guy who plays Koth looks about 12 and frankly lacks gravitas.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#10, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by CdrMike on Feb-24-14 at 07:31 PM
In response to message #9
>Actually, although the fandom is about evenly split as to whether the
>newly redesigned Vengeance model is a triumph or a travesty,
>just about everyone agrees that the film's visuals are top-notch. The
>audio mix, on the other hand, is appalling in places,
>particularly during the scenes on the Vengeance's bridge, and
>more than a few people were puzzled by the decision to shoot the
>engine-room sequences in what was obviously a disused gagh
>cannery. Also, the guy who plays Koth looks about 12 and frankly
>lacks gravitas.

I understand there's been some controversy surrounding the big reveal in the sequel. And that some fans are deriding it as little more than a remake.


#11, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-24-14 at 07:48 PM
In response to message #10
>I understand there's been some controversy surrounding the big reveal
>in the sequel. And that some fans are deriding it as little more than
>a remake.

Well, c'mon, I mean, who saw the first poster for Battlecruiser Vengeance Falling and didn't immediately know that guy was Captain Kor? I mean, really?

I don't know if the "remake" thing is entirely fair, though. I mean, BVF calls on so many of the old show's worst habits - the criminal flag officer, the sekrit super-battlecruiser that's more powerful than the Vengeance, somebody trying to engineer a war with Zeta Cygni; there are far more trenchant things to bitch about there than whining about it being a remake of The Wrath of Kor. :)

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#12, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Offsides on Feb-25-14 at 10:18 AM
In response to message #11
I just want to say that your fictional alternates to a fictional show that was created inside a fictional universe are just awesome. Thank you for making me smile. :)

Offsides (it's a meta-fictional moebius loop :P)

[...] in order to be a realist you must believe in miracles.
-- David Ben Gurion
EPU RCW #π
#include <stdsig.h>


#13, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-25-14 at 12:48 PM
In response to message #12
>I just want to say that your fictional alternates to a fictional show
>that was created inside a fictional universe are just
>awesome. Thank you for making me smile. :)

You're welcome. I've always had fun with the UF universe's internal pop culture when it crops up, and the old Battlecruiser Vengeance file is still a favorite, though it could stand some revising; good Grodd, it's nine years old!

I like to think that later installments in the Battlecruiser Vengeance reboot movie series are going to have increasingly obtuse titles in Standard translation, like Japanese video games. Battlecruiser Vengeance Oratorio Tangram, Battlecruiser Vengeance Hollow Ataraxia, that kind of thing. :)

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#18, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by SpottedKitty on Feb-25-14 at 05:40 PM
In response to message #13
>I like to think that later installments in the Battlecruiser
>Vengeance
reboot movie series are going to have increasingly
>obtuse titles in Standard translation, like Japanese video games.

Should be OK as long as the subtitle track doesn't have a "Zero Wing translation" setting. The consequences would be too hideous (and accidentally hilarious) to contemplate.

--
Unable to save the day: File is read-only.


#19, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-25-14 at 06:57 PM
In response to message #18
>>I like to think that later installments in the Battlecruiser
>>Vengeance
reboot movie series are going to have increasingly
>>obtuse titles in Standard translation, like Japanese video games.
>
>Should be OK as long as the subtitle track doesn't have a "Zero Wing
>translation" setting. The consequences would be too hideous (and
>accidentally hilarious) to contemplate.

I have a Hong Kong bootleg of King of Braves Gaogaigar with an English subtitle track that appears to have been double-babelfished: machine translated from Japanese to Chinese, and then Chinese to English. It's... well, the only adjective I can think of that does it justice is epic.

--G.
Also, who doesn't love Battlecruiser Vengeance Zero Wing? Just for the bit where Sensor Officer SpoQ turns to Koth and cries, "Somebody set up us the bomb!"
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#20, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by drakensis on Feb-26-14 at 02:31 AM
In response to message #19
>I have a Hong Kong bootleg of King of Braves Gaogaigar with an
>English subtitle track that appears to have been double-babelfished:
>machine translated from Japanese to Chinese, and then Chinese to
>English. It's... well, the only adjective I can think of that does it
>justice is epic.

I've something similar for Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's quite impressive to hear them talking about battles involving tens of thousands of fleets on each side.


#21, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by ebony14 on Feb-26-14 at 09:11 AM
In response to message #20
>>I have a Hong Kong bootleg of King of Braves Gaogaigar with an
>>English subtitle track that appears to have been double-babelfished:
>>machine translated from Japanese to Chinese, and then Chinese to
>>English. It's... well, the only adjective I can think of that does it
>>justice is epic.
>
>I've something similar for Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's quite
>impressive to hear them talking about battles involving tens of
>thousands of fleets on each side.

In my group of friends, it's a bootleg of "Giant Robo," with some truly abhorrent spelling errors in the subtitling. So much that we generally refer to the show by the title that ended up on the bootleg, Gaint Bobo.

Not that I don't like "Giant Robo," mind you. It's still one of my favorite anime. But it was a truly awful subtitling.

Ebony the Black Dragon

"Life is like an anole. Sometimes it's green. Sometimes it's brown. But it's always a small Caribbean lizard."


#16, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by CdrMike on Feb-25-14 at 02:43 PM
In response to message #9
>Actually, although the fandom is about evenly split as to whether the
>newly redesigned Vengeance model is a triumph or a travesty,
>just about everyone agrees that the film's visuals are top-notch. The
>audio mix, on the other hand, is appalling in places,
>particularly during the scenes on the Vengeance's bridge, and
>more than a few people were puzzled by the decision to shoot the
>engine-room sequences in what was obviously a disused gagh
>cannery. Also, the guy who plays Koth looks about 12 and frankly
>lacks gravitas.

And the whole time travel plot's been done to death. I know this new director wants to make his mark, but blowing up a planet and killing Koth's father? Still, they did make some good casting choices like the new Du'Han. And you'd never know the actor playing Ma'Qoy was from off-world. On the other hand, if the new ZheQov's accent were any thicker, you'd need a bat'leth to cut through it.


#17, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-25-14 at 04:06 PM
In response to message #16
>On the other hand, if the new ZheQov's accent
>were any thicker, you'd need a bat'leth to cut through it.

That's always been part of ZheQov's charm, though, and the new one's habit of mumbling in the Klinzhai dialect while concentrating is just adorable.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#14, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by juniper on Feb-25-14 at 01:27 PM
In response to message #5
LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-14 AT 01:28 PM (EST)
 
>>In some universe, there's a cool Voyager out there. I just wish it
>>were mine.
>
>In the UF universe, the Voyager equivalent among the many
>Battlecruiser Vengeance series (Battlecruiser Vengeance:
>Odyssey
) is the most beloved apart from the original series. :)

This warms the cockles of my heart, in a lovely bloodthirsty sort of way. The idea of a Klingon Janeway just makes me grin and grin and grin. And then go get a steak.


#22, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Feb-26-14 at 03:51 PM
In response to message #14
>This warms the cockles of my heart, in a lovely bloodthirsty sort of
>way. The idea of a Klingon Janeway just makes me grin and grin and
>grin. And then go get a steak.

Ooh, at the Argentinian place? That was awesome. I so want to go back there.

--G.
also Mr. Crepe, which admittedly may require time travel
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#25, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by juniper on Feb-28-14 at 07:42 AM
In response to message #22
>>This warms the cockles of my heart, in a lovely bloodthirsty sort of
>>way. The idea of a Klingon Janeway just makes me grin and grin and
>>grin. And then go get a steak.
>
>Ooh, at the Argentinian place? That was awesome. I so want to go
>back there.

It's not going anywhere. :) We'll see what happens next time you're down here.

>also Mr. Crepe, which admittedly may require time
>travel

Actually, it's reopened. It's not in the same location, but it's there...


#26, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by twipper on Feb-28-14 at 09:26 AM
In response to message #25

>>also Mr. Crepe, which admittedly may require time
>>travel


So read that as Mr Creep at passing glance and wondered just what kind of food a place named that would be serving...


Brian


#23, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by The Traitor on Feb-26-14 at 05:00 PM
In response to message #14
Presumably the answer to SF Debris's old question: how do you make Janeway even more bloodthirsty? =]

---
"She's old, she's lame, she's barren too, // "She's not worth feed or hay, // "But I'll give her this," - he blew smoke at me - // "She was something in her day." -- Garnet Rogers, Small Victory

FiMFiction.net: we might accept blatant porn involving the cast of My Little Pony but as God is my witness we have standards.


#24, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by CdrMike on Feb-26-14 at 07:02 PM
In response to message #23
>Presumably the answer to SF Debris's old question: how do you make
>Janeway even more bloodthirsty? =]

You take away her coffee. What is this, a trick question?


#6, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Mercutio on Feb-24-14 at 04:48 PM
In response to message #4

>I didn't know that. It just makes me despise the man so much more.

Other Fun Rick Berman Facts: he once referred to an upcoming episode of ENT as finding T'Pol in a "sexy situation."

This was the episode where another Vulcan leads her on and then traps her in her own quarters and violates her with non-consensual mind-melding.

-Merc
Keep Rat


#15, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by juniper on Feb-25-14 at 01:31 PM
In response to message #6
>>I didn't know that. It just makes me despise the man so much more.
>
>Other Fun Rick Berman Facts: he once referred to an upcoming episode
>of ENT as finding T'Pol in a "sexy situation."
>
>This was the episode where another Vulcan leads her on and then traps
>her in her own quarters and violates her with non-consensual
>mind-melding.

You can stop now, I don't actually *need* more reasons to want to have a time machine and a baseball bat with a nail in it.


#27, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Prince Charon on Mar-03-14 at 11:16 PM
In response to message #6
>
>>I didn't know that. It just makes me despise the man so much more.
>
>Other Fun Rick Berman Facts: he once referred to an upcoming episode
>of ENT as finding T'Pol in a "sexy situation."
>
>This was the episode where another Vulcan leads her on and then traps
>her in her own quarters and violates her with non-consensual
>mind-melding.
>
>-Merc
>Keep Rat

Wow. Creepy.

"They planned their campaigns just as you might make a splendid piece of harness. It looks very well; and answers very well; until it gets broken; and then you are done for. Now I made my campaigns of ropes. If anything went wrong, I tied a knot; and went on."
-- Arthur Wellesley, First Duke of Wellington


#28, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Gryphon on Mar-03-14 at 11:38 PM
In response to message #27
>Wow. Creepy.

Poor T'Pol. Stupid shit like that happened to her all the time. I eventually abandoned my position of extreme skepticism about her in large part on the premise that if the people making the show didn't even like her, somebody ought to.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


#29, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by CdrMike on Mar-04-14 at 04:47 AM
In response to message #28
LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-14 AT 04:48 AM (EST)
 
>Poor T'Pol. Stupid shit like that happened to her all the time. I
>eventually abandoned my position of extreme skepticism about her in
>large part on the premise that if the people making the show
>didn't even like her, somebody ought to.

Fun fact, Jolene Blalock is actually a hardcore Trekkie and, like Nimoy before her, often clashed with the writers and execs over how Vulcans were treated in the series. Also she thought it was silly that they'd stop and reshoot entire scenes if a single hair on her head moved during a shot.

And then, of course, there was These Are The Voyages...


#30, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Matrix Dragon on Mar-04-14 at 07:34 AM
In response to message #29
>Fun fact, Jolene Blalock is actually a hardcore Trekkie and, like
>Nimoy before her, often clashed with the writers and execs over how
>Vulcans were treated in the series.

Tim Russ too, for that matter. Vulcans are rather passionate underneath that logic, after all.

Matrix Dragon, J. Random Nutter


#31, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by CdrMike on Mar-04-14 at 08:13 AM
In response to message #30
>>Fun fact, Jolene Blalock is actually a hardcore Trekkie and, like
>>Nimoy before her, often clashed with the writers and execs over how
>>Vulcans were treated in the series.
>
>Tim Russ too, for that matter. Vulcans are rather passionate
>underneath that logic, after all.

Yeah, the actors, especially the second generation who grew up with TOS and the films, were some of the most outspoken when it came to how things were supposed to work in Trek. Not so much in TNG, but by the time VOY and ENT came around.

I understand much the same thing is happening on Nu-Who these days, since all the new Doctors grew up fans of the classic series. It's given them a bit more pull with the studio as to where the character goes, such as Smith convincing them to dump a "Jack Sparrow" style outfit for Chinny in exchange for the tweed and bow tie.


#32, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by Verbena on Mar-04-14 at 12:26 PM
In response to message #31
>>>Fun fact, Jolene Blalock is actually a hardcore Trekkie and, like
>>>Nimoy before her, often clashed with the writers and execs over how
>>>Vulcans were treated in the series.
>>
>>Tim Russ too, for that matter. Vulcans are rather passionate
>>underneath that logic, after all.
>
>Yeah, the actors, especially the second generation who grew up with
>TOS and the films, were some of the most outspoken when it came to how
>things were supposed to work in Trek. Not so much in TNG, but by the
>time VOY and ENT came around.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this, but no, no, I'm not. Always amazed, but never surprised.


>
>I understand much the same thing is happening on Nu-Who these days,
>since all the new Doctors grew up fans of the classic series. It's
>given them a bit more pull with the studio as to where the character
>goes, such as Smith convincing them to dump a "Jack Sparrow" style
>outfit for Chinny in exchange for the tweed and bow tie.

Did NOT know that. Jack Sparrow? Really? Maybe they should hire a Whovian to do nothing but stand there and slap the director with a stick of celery any time ideas like that come up.

--------

this world created by the
hands of the gods
everything is false
everything is a LIE
the final days have come
now
let everything be destroyed

--mu


#33, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by CdrMike on Mar-04-14 at 01:47 PM
In response to message #32
>I wish I could say I was surprised by this, but no, no, I'm not.
>Always amazed, but never surprised.

Yeah, with as long as the franchise has gone on, there have been a lot of instances where actor input has either helped a series, hurt it, or just been outright ignored. Nimoy and Kelley, for example, were all kinds of pissed with Shatner during the making of ST:V when they were told that Spock and McCoy were scripted to turn on Kirk. Both made it rather clear to him that, after all the years the characters had been friend, they wouldn't just suddenly turn on him. The rest of the cast weren't so lucky.

>Did NOT know that. Jack Sparrow? Really? Maybe they should hire a
>Whovian to do nothing but stand there and slap the director with a
>stick of celery any time ideas like that come up.

Yeah, according to Smith, they wanted something a bit "swashbuckling" but he nixed that because he felt that was how somebody would dress up the Doctor, rather than how the Doctor would dress himself. Likewise a long black trench coat got turned down for being "too much like The Matrix."


#34, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by The Traitor on Mar-06-14 at 07:34 AM
In response to message #33
In similar vein... sort of, has anyone noticed that 12th's outfit (yes technically it's fourteenth but sod that for a lark language is about clarity of communication and you all know who I mean) is rather reminiscent of 3rd's and the Big Finish version of 6th's? Personally, I like it, but it does make him look slightly like a magician.

---
"She's old, she's lame, she's barren too, // "She's not worth feed or hay, // "But I'll give her this," - he blew smoke at me - // "She was something in her day." -- Garnet Rogers, Small Victory

FiMFiction.net: we might accept blatant porn involving the cast of My Little Pony but as God is my witness we have standards.


#35, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by GethN7 on May-14-14 at 09:02 PM
In response to message #32
>>I understand much the same thing is happening on Nu-Who these days,
>>since all the new Doctors grew up fans of the classic series. It's
>>given them a bit more pull with the studio as to where the character
>>goes, such as Smith convincing them to dump a "Jack Sparrow" style
>>outfit for Chinny in exchange for the tweed and bow tie.
>
>Did NOT know that. Jack Sparrow? Really? Maybe they should hire a
>Whovian to do nothing but stand there and slap the director with a
>stick of celery any time ideas like that come up.

I wholeheartedly believe they really should have a Whovian hired to do just that.

As for the Klingons, I love how they are portrayed in UF, and B'Elanna was handled pretty well (her canon version kinda sucked TBH)

Personally, I love to see the I.K.S. Gorkon crew from the Klingon Empire book series in UF.


#36, RE: Klingons and Rumors of Klingons
Posted by SpottedKitty on May-15-14 at 03:16 AM
In response to message #35
>Personally, I love to see the I.K.S. Gorkon crew from the Klingon
>Empire book series in UF.

I always thought that was a sorta-plausibly-deniable way of getting some BATTLECRUISER VENGEANCE! stuff (with the serial numbers filed off) into print.

--
Unable to save the day: File is read-only.