[ EPU Foyer ] [ Lab and Grill ] [ Bonus Theater!! ] [ Rhetorical Questions ] [ CSRANTronix ] [ GNDN ] [ Subterranean Vault ] [ Discussion Forum ] [ Gun of the Week ]

Eyrie Productions, Unlimited

Subject: "On other kinds of psionics" Archived thread - Read only
 
  Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy    
Conferences Undocumented Features General Topic #164
Reading Topic #164
zphunk
Charter Member
Oct-22-01, 10:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zphunk Click to send private message to zphunk Click to add this user to your buddy list  
"On other kinds of psionics"
 
   Maybe this was covered in another thread, and I wasn't paying attention, but do other forms of psychic abilities, like tele/pyro/electrokinesis and ESP exist in the UF universe? And if so, is the Psi Corp interested in them? Also, is the Psi Corp interested in Kei and Yuri because of their precognitive abilities, or does it know better than to mess with them?

Zack


  Printer-friendly page | Top

  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
  RE: On other kinds of psionics Gryphonadmin Oct-22-01 1
     RE: On other kinds of psionics zphunk Oct-22-01 2
         RE: On other kinds of psionics Gryphonadmin Oct-23-01 3
             RE: On other kinds of psionics Malis Oct-23-01 4
                 RE: On other kinds of psionics Gryphonadmin Oct-23-01 8
                     RE: On other kinds of psionics Laudre Oct-23-01 11
                         RE: On other kinds of psionics Gryphonadmin Oct-23-01 15
                             RE: On other kinds of psionics Astynax Oct-24-01 18
                             RE: On other kinds of psionics Laudre Oct-24-01 19
                                 RE: On other kinds of psionics Gryphonadmin Oct-24-01 20
                                     RE: On other kinds of psionics Laudre Oct-24-01 23
                                 RE: On other kinds of psionics Peter Eng Oct-24-01 22
                                     RE: On other kinds of psionics Redneck Oct-24-01 24
                     RE: On other kinds of psionics Redneck Oct-23-01 12
                     TP and the Force remandeteam Oct-23-01 16
                         RE: TP and the Force Laudre Oct-23-01 17
                             RE: TP and the Force Gryphonadmin Oct-24-01 21
                                 RE: TP and the Force remandeteam Oct-24-01 25
                                     RE: TP and the Force Wedge Oct-24-01 27
                                         RE: TP and the Force remandeteam Oct-24-01 30
                                             RE: TP and the Force trussteam Oct-24-01 31
                                     RE: TP and the Force Gryphonadmin Oct-24-01 28
             RE: On other kinds of psionics Matrix Dragon Oct-23-01 5
                 RE: On other kinds of psionics Rod_H Oct-23-01 9
                     RE: On other kinds of psionics Matrix Dragon Oct-23-01 13
                         RE: On other kinds of psionics Offsides Oct-23-01 14
                             RE: On other kinds of psionics Matrix Dragon Oct-24-01 26
                             RE: On other kinds of psionics Mephronmoderator Oct-24-01 29
             RE: On other kinds of psionics trussteam Oct-23-01 6
                 RE: On other kinds of psionics Gryphonadmin Oct-23-01 7
                     RE: On other kinds of psionics trussteam Oct-23-01 10
                 RE: On other kinds of psionics Pasha Oct-27-01 32

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-22-01, 10:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #0
 
   >Maybe this was covered in another thread, and I wasn't paying
>attention, but do other forms of psychic abilities, like
>tele/pyro/electrokinesis and ESP exist in the UF universe?

There are others, but they're quite rare, especially in the Earth-human genome. The vast, vast majority of Earther psionics are telepaths. A small minority are telekinetics, but in humans of Earth stock this talent is almost impossible to control and is generally accompanied by insanity. A vanishingly small minority are anodynes (psionic healers). These are the rarest types of Earth-human psionics generally accepted to exist, and are very much sought after by the Corps.

There are rumors of other "gifts", such as pyrokinesis, but to date the Corps has not (publicly) identified any. Certainly pyrokinetics exist in the galaxy as a whole, but not many and none so far from Earth stock.

Precognition and postcognition are, for the most part, dismissed by the Corps hierarchy as superstition.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor in Chief, Netadmin
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
zphunk
Charter Member
Oct-22-01, 11:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zphunk Click to send private message to zphunk Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #1
 
   >There are others, but they're quite rare, especially in the
>Earth-human genome. The vast, vast majority of Earther psionics are
>telepaths. A small minority are telekinetics, but in humans of Earth
>stock this talent is almost impossible to control and is generally
>accompanied by insanity

I remember an episode of Babylon 5 which revolved around the Corp searching for a guy with telekinesis, and at the end the show he vaporized or disintegrated or ascended to a higher level of existence or something in a Spielbergian light show.

>There are rumors of other "gifts", such as pyrokinesis, but to date
>the Corps has not (publicly) identified any. Certainly pyrokinetics
>exist in the galaxy as a whole, but not many and none so far from
>Earth stock.

Are these individuals or a sub-species or an entire species (I'd hate to run into those)?

Zack


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-23-01, 00:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #2
 
   >I remember an episode of Babylon 5 which revolved around the Corp
>searching for a guy with telekinesis, and at the end the show he
>vaporized or disintegrated or ascended to a higher level of existence
>or something in a Spielbergian light show.

Yeah - that was the first Bester episode (I believe it was entitled "Mind War"). Wasn't that one awful? "I am... becoming." Yeah. You're becoming the MacGuffin character on a season-3 episode of Star Trek. "My... God, Bones. What did we just... witness?" Bleagh. I realize it introduces a few important concepts and we get to see a Psi Cop get schletzed, but between the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" ending and that horrible, horrible "Do you know what it's like when telepaths make love, Commander?" scene (nice touch having the tram go into a tunnel right then, guys), ye gods, what a terrible episode. Shiver. Shudder.

Not as bad as "Infection", and certainly not as bad as The Worst Hour Of Television Ever Made (Star Trek: Voyager episode #132, "Threshold" - the only episode of that show I ever watched, if you're curious), but... ew.

>>Certainly pyrokinetics
>>exist in the galaxy as a whole, but not many and none so far from
>>Earth stock.
>
>Are these individuals or a sub-species or an entire species (I'd hate
>to run into those)?

It's possible there's such a thing as a pyrokinetic species, but I can't think of one offhand. I was referring to individuals of other psionically active races (including other human stocks, since Earth and her colonies represent only one of many all-but-identical human races), and very infrequently-found individuals at that.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor in Chief, Netadmin
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Malis
Charter Member
Oct-23-01, 03:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Malis Click to send private message to Malis Click to add this user to your buddy list  
4. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #3
 
   Alright here is an interesting question to ponder.

Psionics in its own right, be it any variation is psionics.

How does the force come into play? It still takes mind strength to touch the force.

This question came up after AGAIN, reading Redneck's stories.

Any ideas?

-Malis out


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-23-01, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
8. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #4
 
   >How does the force come into play? It still takes mind strength to
>touch the force.
>
>Any ideas?

Plenty. This is, in fact, a subject which will be explored in various upcoming bits of the Symphony.

Force sensitivity can be viewed as a sort of psionic ability, I suppose - the ability to tap an ambient energy field, possibly extradimensional, and manipulate it for various effects which mimic innate psionic powers (empathy, limited telepathy, telekinesis, various biofeedback tricks, electrokinesis if you're a really powerful Darksider). Force telepathy doesn't work the same way as innate telepathy, so the abilities interact, but not on a 1:1 basis. It's sort of like trying to read a Portuguese newspaper if you're fluent in Spanish.

Someone who is sensitive to the Force and an innate telepath would be quite a formidable individual.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor in Chief, Netadmin
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Laudre
Charter Member
Oct-23-01, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Laudre Click to send private message to Laudre Click to add this user to your buddy list  
11. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #8
 
   >>How does the force come into play? It still takes mind strength to
>>touch the force.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
>Plenty. This is, in fact, a subject which will be explored in various
>upcoming bits of the Symphony.

So we're going to be seeing a Jedi, possibly even a resurgence of the Order (which seems to have disappeared by the "present") in Symphony? Or some other kind of Force user?

-- Sean --

http://www.thebrokenlink.org The Broken Link 4.0 is live!
"All tribal myths are true, for a given value of 'true'." -- Terry Pratchett
Follow my random thoughts
Follow my creative process


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-23-01, 09:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
15. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #11
 
   >So we're going to be seeing a Jedi, possibly even a resurgence of the
>Order (which seems to have disappeared by the "present") in
>Symphony? Or some other kind of Force user?

Well, see, this is where the "explored later" part comes in.

Still, at least one of the prospective uses of the Force in upcoming Symphony material ought to be figurable from context. Consider the origins of the Asagiri Katsujinkenryuu...

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor in Chief, Netadmin
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Astynax
Charter Member
717 posts
Oct-24-01, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Astynax Click to send private message to Astynax Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
18. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #15
 
   >Well, see, this is where the "explored later" part comes in.
>
>Still, at least one of the prospective uses of the Force in upcoming
>Symphony material ought to be figurable from context. Consider
>the origins of the Asagiri Katsujinkenryuu...
>

...and the requirement mentioned to graduate from 'journeyman' status no doubt...

-={(Astynax)}=-
"What unsettles me is 'at least one'..."


-={(Astynax)}=-
"Darkness beyond Twilight"


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Laudre
Charter Member
Oct-24-01, 00:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Laudre Click to send private message to Laudre Click to add this user to your buddy list  
19. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #15
 
   >>So we're going to be seeing a Jedi, possibly even a resurgence of the
>>Order (which seems to have disappeared by the "present") in
>>Symphony? Or some other kind of Force user?
>
>Well, see, this is where the "explored later" part comes in.

...Hmmm, yeah, I could have and should have phrased the question considerably better. What I'm asking is if the Force will be explicitly referred to as such. Are Asagiri Katsujinkenryuuka even cognizant of the fact that they use the Force? (In the SWEU, there's several examples of Force orders and cults that aren't aware of the Force as such, and consider what they do magic or somesuch.) Given that Redneck is a half-trained Jedi, has he been around Gryph when he's been using those disciplines, and thus been able to identify it as such?

Along those lines, how does magic fit into the picture with the Force and psi? Could a body conceivably study and master all three?

-- Sean --

http://www.thebrokenlink.org The Broken Link 4.0 is live!
"All tribal myths are true, for a given value of 'true'." -- Terry Pratchett
Follow my random thoughts
Follow my creative process


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-24-01, 01:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
20. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #19
 
   >...Hmmm, yeah, I could have and should have phrased the question
>considerably better. What I'm asking is if the Force will be
>explicitly referred to as such. Are Asagiri Katsujinkenryuuka even
>cognizant of the fact that they use the Force?

Of course. It's implicit in the origins of the form (Asagiri Shinjinkenryuu master Tetsuo Asagiri and his traveling companion, Jedi Knight Talar Kem, comparing notes while living an extensive buddy movie on the Outer Rim in the mid-2000s), which Gryphon knows and has explained on camera at least once (albeit in a really bad story).

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor in Chief, Netadmin
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Laudre
Charter Member
Oct-24-01, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Laudre Click to send private message to Laudre Click to add this user to your buddy list  
23. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #20
 
   >Of course. It's implicit in the origins of the form (Asagiri
>Shinjinkenryuu master Tetsuo Asagiri and his traveling companion, Jedi
>Knight Talar Kem, comparing notes while living an extensive buddy
>movie on the Outer Rim in the mid-2000s), which Gryphon knows and has
>explained on camera at least once (albeit in a really bad story).

Would that be "Secrets," a story I know I've read but can't remember anything about?

-- Sean --

http://www.thebrokenlink.org The Broken Link 4.0 is live!
"All tribal myths are true, for a given value of 'true'." -- Terry Pratchett
Follow my random thoughts
Follow my creative process


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Peter Eng
Charter Member
1448 posts
Oct-24-01, 01:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Peter%20Eng Click to send private message to Peter%20Eng Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
22. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #19
 
   >
>Along those lines, how does magic fit into the picture with the Force
>and psi? Could a body conceivably study and master all three?
>
>-- Sean --
>

Speaking non-canonically:

Yes, but...

...finding somebody who is Force-sensitive, psychic, and has the ability to handle magic is highly improbable.

...the person in question would either have no life other than training, or be long-lived, on the order of two to three centuries, minimum.

If anybody like that showed up in the UF universe, that person would probably be
a) a Main Character, if not a Protagonist
b) shot at far too much
c) accused of being an SI by everybody and his brother, regardless of how unlike anybody at EPU the character was.

Peter Eng

Peter Eng
--
Insert humorous comment here.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Redneck
Charter Member
Oct-24-01, 02:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Redneck Click to send private message to Redneck Click to add this user to your buddy list  
24. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #22
 
  
>...finding somebody who is Force-sensitive, psychic, and has the
>ability to handle magic is highly improbable.

UF tends to follow one particular Discworld truism: million-to-one chances come up nine times out of ten.

>...the person in question would either have no life other than
>training, or be long-lived, on the order of two to three centuries,
>minimum.

Not at all. Talent is inborn. Finding someone who -masters- all three, now -that- takes some finding.

Redneck

Red wizard needs money badly...
www.wlpcomics.com
White Lightning Productions - don't tell the Pope


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Redneck
Charter Member
Oct-23-01, 03:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Redneck Click to send private message to Redneck Click to add this user to your buddy list  
12. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #8
 
   >>How does the force come into play? It still takes mind strength to
>>touch the force.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>
>Plenty. This is, in fact, a subject which will be explored in various
>upcoming bits of the Symphony.
>
>Force sensitivity can be viewed as a sort of psionic ability, I
>suppose - the ability to tap an ambient energy field, possibly
>extradimensional, and manipulate it for various effects which mimic
>innate psionic powers (empathy, limited telepathy, telekinesis,
>various biofeedback tricks, electrokinesis if you're a really powerful
>Darksider). Force telepathy doesn't work the same way as innate
>telepathy, so the abilities interact, but not on a 1:1 basis. It's
>sort of like trying to read a Portuguese newspaper if you're fluent in
>Spanish.

The way I've been interpreting it (and Gryphon may correct me) is that Force manipulation works on a somewhat different principle than esper talents. It's different enough that a comprehensive scan, medical or telepathic, for psi talent will not detect Force-using capacity.

Any Force user with minimal training in control and sensitivity will pick up psi-based telepathic scans or communication as part of their increased awareness. In theory the same might be true of Katsujinkenryuu students like Gryphon and Kaitlyn, as the form is partly derived from Jedi Force training. Advanced training, or training for those whose Force talents are skewed towards hightened senses, includes means of blocking telepathic attacks and even turning them back upon themselves.

It's probably a good thing for the Psi Corps that there are so -few- trained Force users in the known galaxy. Someone trained and talented in -both- exper and Force talents would be a great force to reckon with...

Redneck

Red wizard needs money badly...
www.wlpcomics.com
White Lightning Productions - don't tell the Pope


  Printer-friendly page | Top
remandeteam
Member since Jul-31-07
78 posts
Oct-23-01, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail remande Click to send private message to remande Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
16. "TP and the Force"
In response to message #8
 
   >Someone who is sensitive to the Force and an innate telepath
>would be quite a formidable individual.
>
>--G.

And now, the frightening next level of that idea:

A Vulcan Jedi.

Actually, would it be possible to train in Kolinar and Jedi? Or would the emotional supression required of Kolinar interfere with Jedi training? It would certainly help in avoiding the Dark Side, if it were possible.

--rR

--rR


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Laudre
Charter Member
Oct-23-01, 11:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Laudre Click to send private message to Laudre Click to add this user to your buddy list  
17. "RE: TP and the Force"
In response to message #16
 
   >And now, the frightening next level of that idea:
>
>A Vulcan Jedi.

Well, except that, for most Vulcans, their telepathy requires physical contact. So it's not *quite* as scary as a human TP/Jedi would be.

>Actually, would it be possible to train in Kolinar and Jedi? Or would
>the emotional supression required of Kolinar interfere with Jedi
>training? It would certainly help in avoiding the Dark Side, if it
>were possible.

Hmmm. Considering that Jedi train themselves to be dispassionate, I'd guess that the Way of Kolinar would promote that aspect. Certainly, they wouldn't be tempted by the Dark Side.

Romulans, OTOH...

This, of course, is a moot point if, say, Vulcans and Romulans are racially Force-blind or somesuch.

-- Sean --

http://www.thebrokenlink.org The Broken Link 4.0 is live!
"All tribal myths are true, for a given value of 'true'." -- Terry Pratchett
Follow my random thoughts
Follow my creative process


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-24-01, 01:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
21. "RE: TP and the Force"
In response to message #17
 
   >>Actually, would it be possible to train in Kolinar and Jedi? Or would
>>the emotional supression required of Kolinar interfere with Jedi
>>training? It would certainly help in avoiding the Dark Side, if it
>>were possible.
>
>Hmmm. Considering that Jedi train themselves to be dispassionate, I'd
>guess that the Way of Kolinar would promote that aspect. Certainly,
>they wouldn't be tempted by the Dark Side.

Kolinahr is the highest level of the Way of Surak - supposedly, the total obliteration of emotion. That wouldn't be particularly useful to a Jedi; they're supposed to be in control and dispassionate, but not an emotional void.

A less ardently emotionless (yes, I said that) Vulcan, one who has achieved less in the Way of Surak, would, I suspect, go farther in Jedi training, if only because he would have less rigidity in his ways of thinking.

A Vulcan who doesn't follow the Way of Surak's emotional training, but does have the usual discipline of intellect instilled by the Vulcan education system, would be pretty fine padawan material...

As it happens, I'm toying around with the designs for a Vulcan character who doesn't follow Surak's teachings - not out of a sense of rebellion or because of a mixed-blood issue, but because that's the way she was raised. The Surak quite arrogantly present themselves as The Vulcan Culture, but I believe that's about as accurate as, say, the Chinese presenting themselves as The People Of Earth.

The group the embryonic character belongs to are all for intellectual discipline and logical thinking, but they declined to embrace the emotional purging of Surak's ways back in the day. They recognized it as an unhealthy way to live and correctly predicted the "if all you have is a hammer" mindset that the Surak obsession with logic and reason gives rise to. Rather than ditch the planet like those who would become the Romulans did, this group kept their city - it's in a part of the planet the 'average' Vulcan wouldn't want to live in anyway - and are proud of their distinct culture, even if the vast majority would really prefer it if they did move to another planet. :)

This may have nothing at all to do with the idea of a Vulcan Jedi, but the idea of combining Vulcan intellectual discipline with Jedi rather than Surak-type emotional training reminded me that I've been mulling it over lately, and I decided to share. :)

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor in Chief, Netadmin
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
remandeteam
Member since Jul-31-07
78 posts
Oct-24-01, 03:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail remande Click to send private message to remande Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
25. "RE: TP and the Force"
In response to message #21
 
   >Kolinahr is the highest level of the Way of Surak - supposedly,
>the total obliteration of emotion. That wouldn't be particularly
>useful to a Jedi; they're supposed to be in control and dispassionate,
>but not an emotional void.

"I will not feel. Feel is the world-killer. Feel is the little death that brings with it utter genocide. I will face my feel. I will stuff it deep inside me. And when it is deep enough, only I will remain."

>As it happens, I'm toying around with the designs for a Vulcan
>character who doesn't follow Surak's teachings - not out of a sense of
>rebellion or because of a mixed-blood issue, but because that's the
>way she was raised. The Surak quite arrogantly present themselves as
>The Vulcan Culture, but I believe that's about as accurate as, say,
>the Chinese presenting themselves as The People Of Earth.

Is this a split between ST Vulcans and UF Vulcans? IIRC, ST Vulcans are 99.44% Surakian, specifically because Surak showed up at exactly the right time with his philosophy to prevent global war on a scale we humans can barely imagine.

My understanding of ST canon says that, in his or her natural state, a Vulcan is even more a being of passions than a human is.

>
>The group the embryonic character belongs to are all for intellectual
>discipline and logical thinking, but they declined to embrace the
>emotional purging of Surak's ways back in the day. They recognized it
>as an unhealthy way to live and correctly predicted the "if all you
>have is a hammer" mindset that the Surak obsession with logic and
>reason gives rise to. Rather than ditch the planet like those who
>would become the Romulans did, this group kept their city - it's in a
>part of the planet the 'average' Vulcan wouldn't want to live in
>anyway - and are proud of their distinct culture, even if the vast
>majority would really prefer it if they did move to another
>planet. :)

Wow. Vulcan Amish. Who'da thunk?

Ben, if you name this embryonic character "Jebidiah" or some variation thereof, I will hurt you ;^>

--rR

--rR


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Wedge
Charter Member
Oct-24-01, 03:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wedge Click to send private message to Wedge Click to add this user to your buddy list  
27. "RE: TP and the Force"
In response to message #25
 
   >>Kolinahr is the highest level of the Way of Surak - supposedly,
>>the total obliteration of emotion. That wouldn't be particularly
>>useful to a Jedi; they're supposed to be in control and dispassionate,
>>but not an emotional void.
>
>"I will not feel. Feel is the world-killer. Feel is the little death
>that brings with it utter genocide. I will face my feel. I will
>stuff it deep inside me. And when it is deep enough, only I will
>remain."

Vulcan Jedi Prana Bindu? I...oh, look, I've gone all cross-eyed. Bastard.

:)

------------------------
Chad Collier
Digital Bitch
J. Random VFX Company


  Printer-friendly page | Top
remandeteam
Member since Jul-31-07
78 posts
Oct-24-01, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail remande Click to send private message to remande Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
30. "RE: TP and the Force"
In response to message #27
 
   >>"I will not feel. Feel is the world-killer. Feel is the little death
>>that brings with it utter genocide. I will face my feel. I will
>>stuff it deep inside me. And when it is deep enough, only I will
>>remain."
>
>Vulcan Jedi Prana Bindu? I...oh, look, I've gone all cross-eyed.
>Bastard.
>------------------------
>Chad Collier

We're getting topic drift, ,so I generated a new topic. Find my reply http://www.eyrie-productions.com/Forum-docs/DCForumID1/167.html";>here.

--rR

--rR


  Printer-friendly page | Top
trussteam
Member since Aug-9-13
Oct-24-01, 12:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail truss Click to send private message to truss Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
31. "RE: TP and the Force"
In response to message #30
 
   >We're getting topic drift, ,so I generated a new topic.

Mental note: 10 bonus points for ReRob.

--truss.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-24-01, 03:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
28. "RE: TP and the Force"
In response to message #25
 
   >>The Surak quite arrogantly present themselves as
>>The Vulcan Culture, but I believe that's about as accurate as, say,
>>the Chinese presenting themselves as The People Of Earth.
>
>Is this a split between ST Vulcans and UF Vulcans? IIRC, ST Vulcans
>are 99.44% Surakian, specifically because Surak showed up at exactly
>the right time with his philosophy to prevent global war on a scale we
>humans can barely imagine.

I know, but I think that's a) not very believable and b) rather dull. The latter-day breakaways from the stultification of the Way of Surak (the Charismatics, the Humorists) are fun and all, but I thought it would be nice to have an original non-Surak Vulcan contingent around. They're such a minority that not many people off Vulcan have ever heard of them (the fact that the Surak control the government may have something to do with that too - they're so embarrassed by the whole thing).

>My understanding of ST canon says that, in his or her natural state, a
>Vulcan is even more a being of passions than a human is.

This is quite true, and the group I'm developing are modulated somewhat, just for the sake of not frightening the mundanes - at least the ones who leave the city are. They lack the Surak aspiration to Kolinahr, but they don't dismiss the fact that Surak had wisdom.

>Wow. Vulcan Amish. Who'da thunk?

Well, sort of. The Surak do tend to think of them as backward, although they're just as technologically adept as the rest - possibly more so, since they don't mind fooling around with stuff like simsense that the Surak find distasteful.

>Ben, if you name this embryonic character "Jebidiah" or some variation
>thereof, I will hurt you ;^>

I don't think it'd look good on h

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Matrix Dragon
Charter Member
1727 posts
Oct-23-01, 04:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Matrix%20Dragon Click to send private message to Matrix%20Dragon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #3
 
   >Yeah - that was the first Bester episode (I believe it was entitled
>"Mind War"). Wasn't that one awful? "I am... becoming." Yeah.
>You're becoming the MacGuffin character on a season-3 episode of
>Star Trek. "My... God, Bones. What did we just... witness?" Bleagh. I
>realize it introduces a few important concepts and we get to see a
>Psi Cop get schletzed, but between the "Where No Man Has Gone
>Before" ending and that horrible, horrible "Do you know what it's like
>when telepaths make love, Commander?" scene (nice touch having
>the tram go into a tunnel right then, guys), ye gods, what a terrible
>episode. Shiver. Shudder.

I remember that one. Yuck. Second episode of B5 I ever saw, and it almost put me off the series. Thankfully, I only saw it for the first time a few months ago (The wonders of sci-fi in Australia people) and SOS convinced we to keep watching, if only to figure out all the references that were popping up.

Matrix Dragon

Matrix Dragon, J. Random Nutter


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Rod_H
Charter Member
Oct-23-01, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rod_H Click to send private message to Rod_H Click to add this user to your buddy list  
9. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #5
 
   LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-01 AT 12:12 PM (EDT)

>I remember that one. Yuck. Second episode of B5 I ever saw, and it
>almost put me off the series. Thankfully, I only saw it for the first
>time a few months ago (The wonders of sci-fi in Australia people) and
>SOS convinced we to keep watching, if only to figure out all the
>references that were popping up.

Huh? Odd, only saw two eps of B5? What about the Pilot(shown twice) and the telemovies(just this year). I know when Nine picked it up they shoved it to the Trek-hours (11pm-1am) they had season 5 last year. Seven had season one around '96.

Yes, sci-fi in Austraila is a strange beast, its rare cousin is good anime and its brother: decent Warner Bros. cartoons (Batman).

--Rod.H
"What do you want?"


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Matrix Dragon
Charter Member
1727 posts
Oct-23-01, 06:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Matrix%20Dragon Click to send private message to Matrix%20Dragon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
13. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #9
 
   LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-01 AT 06:47 PM (EDT)

>Huh? Odd, only saw two eps of B5? What about the Pilot(shown twice)
>and the telemovies(just this year). I know when Nine picked it up
>they shoved it to the Trek-hours (11pm-1am) they had season 5 last
>year. Seven had season one around '96.

Yes, channel nine has Trek-hours of 11 to 1. It's rural version, Win television, has a Trek hour of 2 freaking am, despite decent ratings. And Prime (Rural seven) showed the movie without much advertising, so I missed it, and then it vanished until it ended up on TV1's Sci-fi sector earlier this year. I've hardly missed an episode since.

>Yes, sci-fi in Austraila is a strange beast, its rare cousin is
>good anime and its brother: decent Warner Bros. cartoons (Batman).

Damn straight. Cartoon Network, Ten and SBS are the only ones to give anime any coverage. And even then, it sometimes gets edited. Check Cardcaptors on channel Ten recently if you don't believe me. They cut out scenes and even entire episodes that showed Li's crush on Julian.

Matrix Dragon, pissed off at the world and life in general.

Matrix Dragon, J. Random Nutter


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Offsides
Charter Member
1220 posts
Oct-23-01, 08:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Offsides Click to send private message to Offsides Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
14. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #13
 
   >Damn straight. Cartoon Network, Ten and SBS are the only ones to give
>anime any coverage. And even then, it sometimes gets edited. Check
>Cardcaptors on channel Ten recently if you don't believe me. They cut
>out scenes and even entire episodes that showed Li's crush on Julian.
>
Except that Cartoon Network calls DBZ "the greatest animeted series ever", which is bull (unless they're just talking size, in which case it might be).

Cardcaptors, on the other hand, is not cut - it's just not a dubbed version of Cardcaptor Sakura. IMHO, Cardcaptors is to Cardcaptor Sakura in the same way Macross, et. al. is to Robotech (see "Dana's Story" for the best example). They took footage from one series and created a new series out of it - similar premise, but not the same...

I wonder if Carl "the Razor" Macek had anything to do with Cardcaptors...

Offsides

#include <macek.h>

#91;...#93; in order to be a realist you must believe in miracles.
-- David Ben Gurion
EPU RCW #pi;
#include <stdsig.h>


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Matrix Dragon
Charter Member
1727 posts
Oct-24-01, 03:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Matrix%20Dragon Click to send private message to Matrix%20Dragon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
26. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #14
 
   >Cardcaptors, on the other hand, is not cut - it's just not a
>dubbed version of Cardcaptor Sakura. IMHO, Cardcaptors is to
>Cardcaptor Sakura in the same way Macross, et. al. is to
>Robotech (see "Dana's Story" for the best example). They took
>footage from one series and created a new series out of it -
>similar premise, but not the same...

No, they did cut Cardcaptors. Cartoon Network shows the same thing, only they have at least a dozen episodes so far that never showed up on commercial television. I know that Cardcaptors isn't quite Cardcaptor Sakura, but it's been edited again.

Matrix Dragon

Matrix Dragon, J. Random Nutter


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Mephronmoderator
Charter Member
1763 posts
Oct-24-01, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mephron Click to send private message to Mephron Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
29. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #14
 
   >Except that Cartoon Network calls DBZ "the greatest animeted series
>ever", which is bull (unless they're just talking size, in which case
>it might be).

I believe, to hop offtopic (and I will cheerfully admit this, just this once, and will move it elsewhere from here on) that 'Slam Dunk', a series about Basketball players, beats DBZ. And I also believe that 'Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl' beats both of them... together.

Unfortunately, the Anipike is apparently having serious paving problems, so I can't check directly.

--
Geoff Depew - Mephron
Haberdasher to Androids, Malakite of Lightning and Angel of Tech Support Professionals
(They won't give me LARTs, they say that's restricted to Michael.)

--
Geoff Depew - Darth Mephron
Haberdasher to Androids, Dark Lord of Sith Tech Support.
"And Remember! Google is your Friend!!"


  Printer-friendly page | Top
trussteam
Member since Aug-9-13
Oct-23-01, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail truss Click to send private message to truss Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #3
 
   >and that horrible, horrible "Do you know what it's like
>when telepaths make love, Commander?" scene

Personally I blame that on Andrea Thompson having no measurable acting ability...

--truss,
never a Talia Winters fan.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Gryphonadmin
Charter Member
19249 posts
Oct-23-01, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gryphon Click to send private message to Gryphon Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
7. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #6
 
   >>and that horrible, horrible "Do you know what it's like
>>when telepaths make love, Commander?" scene
>
>Personally I blame that on Andrea Thompson having no measurable
>acting ability...

Why? She didn't write the stupid lines, she just was unable to rise above them.

--G.
-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor in Chief, Netadmin
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/

-><-
Benjamin D. Hutchins, Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief, & Forum Mod
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited http://www.eyrie-productions.com/
zgryphon at that email service Google has
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
trussteam
Member since Aug-9-13
Oct-23-01, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail truss Click to send private message to truss Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
10. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #7
 
   >Why? She didn't write the stupid lines, she just was unable to
>rise above them.

No, but I found the lines themselves merely shrugworthy.

Her portrayal made them downright painful to listen to.

--truss.


  Printer-friendly page | Top
Pasha
Charter Member
964 posts
Oct-27-01, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Pasha Click to send private message to Pasha Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
32. "RE: On other kinds of psionics"
In response to message #6
 
   >Personally I blame that on Andrea Thompson having no measurable
>acting ability...
>
>--truss,
>never a Talia Winters fan.

But she's a great talking head...

--
-Pasha (Who was shocked and amazed to turn on CNN during the whole WTC thing, and go "Hey! That's a psi-cop!")
Umm, right....I'll be with you in just a sec now...

--
-Pasha
"Don't change the subject"
"Too slow, already did."


  Printer-friendly page | Top

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

[ YUM ] [ BIG ] [ ??!? ] [ RANT ] [ GNDN ] [ STORE ] [ FORUM ] GOTW ] [ VAULT ]

version 3.3 © 2001
Eyrie Productions, Unlimited
Benjamin D. Hutchins
E P U (Colour)